Tweenhood?

On Friday, big kid will turn 12. Wait, whaaaaa?  When did that happen? How has 12 years gone by so quickly? I am so proud of the sweet, funny, smart and caring young man he has become. 

In many ways he is still a little boy. His body shows no signs of puberty yet. He still prefers to watch Jake the Pirate and Sponge Bob over Spider-Man and whatever shows typical 12 year old boys like to watch. 

But in many ways he had also grown. He doesn't have the meltdowns when transitioning like he used to. He can tolerate haircuts now (just don't use the scissors). He's much friendlier and chivalrous. He refers to men as "gentleman" and women as "ladies". He "gets" certain jokes now. He plays along and follows your lead, not taking things too literal. 

Unlike some 12 year olds, he still wants me to tuck him in bed at night to say his prayers. He still holds my hand in public. Sometimes I let go because after all, he is a young man and I want him to mature. See, I was brought up in a strict Hispanic household where I had to learn things on my own. Independence was taught early on, so in some aspects, I've always been an adult my whole life. But I have to learn to step back and not try to "mature" him but guide him along the way. He will mature when the time is right. Until then, I will enjoy the cuddles, the "I Love Yous",  "you're the best mommy bear" and the impromptu back massages he gives me when we are just sitting watching TV. I will savor these moments because one day, he'll be too grown to be around mommy.... or not. 

Happy 12th birthday, big kid. I love you more than you will ever know and thank you for loving me back. I will always be your cheerleader. May God continue to bless you forever and a day.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valentine's Day - Special Needs Edition

Lessons I’ve learned from my Son with Special Needs in 2017

Weekend Getaway - Without the Kids