The Little Engine That Could

We all know the story of the little engine that could.  Well in my version, I'm the little engine. I've been trying my hardest to get big kid into the right school setting.  Since October 2012, I've been like a fish swimming up stream with boulders popping up each way, making my journey all the more challenging.  

Some days I just felt like giving up.  I was speaking alien to the DOE.  Noone was understanding what I was saying, what I was doing all for the sake of my kid. Until one day....

Fast forward it's November 2013 and FINALLY the blurred lines are not so blurred anymore.  Well, to a degree.  

Here's my timeline to explain where I've been and where we are heading:

Spring 2012  - behavior issues began to surface

September 2012 - I had big kid evaluated at the Kennedy Center by a Behavior Therapist

October 2012 - the school began their psychoeducational evals

December 2012 - IEP meeting - District 75 is recommended

January 2013 - I was told about the NEST/Horizon program - sent in application 

February 2013
 - No response from the DOE (on paper) regarding placement.  Was told by the school psychologist he was rejected from District 75  "too academically advanced"
-  60 days have passed, my parental rights have been violated  - no response in writing from the DOE. They owed me a Nickerson letter .
- Reached out to find out status of the NEST/Horizon application - received a rude email from the contact 
- Sent an email to the Chancellor regarding my unsatisfactory experiences with the DOE - two days later received a call and email from one of his delegates.  She was still trying to give me the schpiel of "least restrictive environment" not really helping 
- Called Advocates for Children - didn't make any headway 

March 2013 - called Sinergia - hired an advocate.  Began to make calls - all unanswered.  Filed for an impartial hearing. 

April 2013 - IEP reconvene included the CSE (they respond immediately when an impartial hearing is filed)
- met with CSE and a temporary bandaid was given (additional related services)
- Nickerson letter received 

May - July 2013 - tested out the new services, enforced my Nickerson letter, applied to 8 schools, all 8 rejected. 

August 2013 - Advocate and I sent letter to the current public school requesting an IEP meeting 
- more evaluations at the Kennedy Center 

October 2013 - met with my new advocate, created our plan. I told her about the NEST/Horizon situation and hadn't received any updates - gave me the names and emails of the higher ups - I reached out and began to make a big deal of my past experience from January.  Apologies left and right, was able to get big kid evaluated for the program.  

November 2013 - met with the psychologist and social worker at the Kennedy Center  - devised a plan to contact 2 non-public schools and set up a parent tour, while they try to contact the Mayor's office and the Chancellor's office for advice on placement 

- I contacted two schools to set up a parent tour: Westchester School for Special Children and Hawthorne Country Day School.  
- Big kid was evaluated for the Nest/Horizon program and was found to be a candidate for the Horizon program.  Waiting for next steps from the administration on placement availability 
- Visited Westchester School - loved it, big kid was accepted 
- Still unclear on Horizon - went to a presentation from the DOE
- IEP meeting scheduled for next week 

Phew.....  The little engine that could, made her way up and now is moving full speed ahead! 

What's next?  We're planning on sending big kid to the Westchester School, assuming the DOE and CSE don't cockblock.   YES I said it! COCKBLOCK.  That's what they do... best. 

I want to thank those of you who have been supportive, lent an ear (and shoulder), family, friends (both new and old, online and in person).  I gathered my strength from your support.  

I pray that my next post will bring forth much more exciting news. Then the little engine that could... DID!!!!

God bless. 

Comments

  1. Way to go mama! Keep fighting for your boy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shirley: You have been at it for the past year. It is sad that the DOE puts us through so much. I admire how you realized you needed help and did what you had to do to get it. You tried and tried and no matter the obstacle, you did not give up. Your son is blessed and I am sure he will do well because he has you fighting hard for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brought tears (happy ones)! You have done such an amazing job fighting for big one!! Your love, dedication, AND perseverance for ONLY the best has paid off my friend. I was told once that our children choose us before they are born, and big one chose well!! He knew what he was doing! Love you girl!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Valentine's Day - Special Needs Edition

Lessons I’ve learned from my Son with Special Needs in 2017

Weekend Getaway - Without the Kids