Autism Awareness
April is Autism Awareness month. A month where everyone is encouraged to "light it up blue". A month where Autism is highlighted and talked about and then put back on a little shelf for another 11 months. We will read about nine million "causes" of Autism by "celebrities" and others who are desperate to find an answer. Yes it's frustrating not knowing what causes it. There's no magic food or pill that will take it away.
I'll be honest, I don't remember when big kid was diagnosed. I don't remember the day. I think he was about 8 or 9 years old and it was Spring. It's not that I didn't care. Autism is not my son's only diagnosis. He was born with Spina Bifida and I knew he was going to be born with it when I was 14 weeks pregnant. I guess in my head, I went through the mourning, anger, denial and acceptance 12 years ago. When I found out about his ASD, it was a cross between a sigh of relief - an explanation for the behaviors and "F*CK!l why did my son's life (and ours) have to get more complicated?!
But that reaction was short lived. See the fighter, researcher and action-taker in me didn't waste time. I took a deep breath and said the to they psychologist, "Ok, now we know. So what can we do to help him?" I immediately took action to help my son maximize his potential with the proper school setting and services he needs. In my mind, I had to figure out a way to cope with my son having not one, but two different diagnoses. With SB, it is what it is. Damage to the spine has been caused and we work with his limitations. We modify as needed. With Autism, well, that can be tricky. Some days (most) are pretty good, just taking the scenic route in life and slowing things down, taking time to explain things. On the not-so-good days it's a test of patience. Both his AND ours.
It's been a few years since his diagnosis of Autism and we're in a good place. Dare I say, we've been "coasting". BUT, that is about to shift. I know it. I can feel it. There's a shift in things every 2-4 years. He's now 12 years old. I have to start thinking about his future. I have to think about puberty. PUBERTY. Did I mention, puberty? Not sure what that will bring. SB, Autism and Puberty. Puberty, teenage years, graduation and adulthood. I rarely admit this, but the future scares me shitless! I will not add any more grays thinking of what the future holds. All I can do is live in the present and continue to help him become an independent young man. Only time will tell what the future holds. All I can do is prepare and love him. Continue to love him and give him the support he needs to spread his wings and fly. Encourage him to follow his passion and leave his mark in this world.
It's been a few years since his diagnosis of Autism and we're in a good place. Dare I say, we've been "coasting". BUT, that is about to shift. I know it. I can feel it. There's a shift in things every 2-4 years. He's now 12 years old. I have to start thinking about his future. I have to think about puberty. PUBERTY. Did I mention, puberty? Not sure what that will bring. SB, Autism and Puberty. Puberty, teenage years, graduation and adulthood. I rarely admit this, but the future scares me shitless! I will not add any more grays thinking of what the future holds. All I can do is live in the present and continue to help him become an independent young man. Only time will tell what the future holds. All I can do is prepare and love him. Continue to love him and give him the support he needs to spread his wings and fly. Encourage him to follow his passion and leave his mark in this world.
Comments
Post a Comment