Kid's Day: The Ups and Downs
Last week my company hosted its annual Kid's Day. This is a nice event, the one day we can bring our kids to work, show them off and let them have a fun day with their parents. When I only had big kid, I would limit the time spent doing activities since some things were just too much for him. Sensory overload. But he always found a few minutes of fun activities to take part in. Now that Pollito is old enough to attend, it becomes a little more....challenging.
On one hand, as a special needs parent, I want to protect my son and respect his sensitivities. On the other hand, I also have a typical child whom I wish not to deprive of activities and miss out on the fun.
Why should my typical child be deprived of enjoying typical activities because his brother had certain limitations or sensitivities? Why should my special needs child miss out on childhood fun or be subjected to scenarios that could potentially be extremely overwhelming and loaded with anxiety? This is a constant battle/struggle. I have to teach the little one compassion and empathy while trying to teach my eldest patience and encouragement and to ease his anxieties about trying/learning new things. What a balancing act!
While I may have shared pictures pictures of what appeared to be a "perfect day" day with my boys, it wasn't all what it seemed. There were a few meltdowns along the way. I tried my best to make sure both kids enjoyed their time there. It wasn't always easy especially with big kid's sensitivities. But I refuse to let those few bad moments ruin our time together.
At the end of the day, they both had a good time making dragon puppets, playing Tic Tac Toe, video games, playing chess, shooting darts, making sand art, balloons and caricatures. Some days it's hard having outings alone with my two boys and I just have to make the best of it. One day, it will get easier (I hope). Until then, I'll try to find the right balance.
At the end of the day, they both had a good time making dragon puppets, playing Tic Tac Toe, video games, playing chess, shooting darts, making sand art, balloons and caricatures. Some days it's hard having outings alone with my two boys and I just have to make the best of it. One day, it will get easier (I hope). Until then, I'll try to find the right balance.
Comments
Post a Comment