Celebrating Another Year

Tomorrow I will turn 38 years old. Dear God where did the time go?  I sure don't feel 38. I don't look 38. Yet 38 seems like this huge number. Twenty years ago, I graduated High School. Whoa. In two years, I'll be turning the big 4-0. SIGH. One day at a time.  

So where has the time gone? Hmm...  graduated HS, went to college, got my first job which lead to a job that would soon pay my rent, got my first apartment at 22, graduated college, dated - a lot (lol), met my now hubby, got married, welcomed two canine "children" followed by 2 mini-mes and a whole lot of roller coaster rides in between.  

Have I grown older?  Duh.  Have I grown wiser? To a degree. I have a few more grays (ok, they are white, dammit! WHITE! Nothing that a bottle of Nice n' Easy can't handle), a couple of creases at the eyes that I'm ok with.

This year we celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary and I must say, side-by-side shots, we look good for our age. Matter of fact, we don't look that much different.  Good genes? Maybe. Definitely living a healthier lifestyle. I want to look under 40 for as long as I can.  Despite the many lemons life has thrown my way, I've managed to make some slammin' vodka lemonade with them!  So take that! Cue in Elton John "I'm Still Standing... Yeah, Yeah, YEAH!" 

So what have I learned? 

  • I can't change what others think of me.  
  • I don't need the approval of others. 
  • I have become a much stronger woman than I ever thought I could be.
  • I love to run.  I still hate to exercise. :-)
  • It's ok to put my career on hold, take the scenic route for a bit until my boys are grown. I'm not the first, nor the last mother to put their children first. 
  • I still don't like the color yellow.  
  • Marriage takes work.
  • Forest Gump was right, life IS like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • I'm not perfect.
  • I will never be the "the perfect mom" because there is no such thing as perfection. We are a work in progress. Some days I can be the best mom I can be and some days, well, not so stellar. But I never lose sight of my two precious gifts that God has given me.
  • I still have a whole lot to learn.
Soo all this to say, "happy birthday" to me. Thank you Lord for the countless blessings. Thank you for letting me live another year. I ask that you continue to allow me to age gracefully, grow wiser and help me continue to raise my boys to grow up to be respectful, loving, Christian men.

Comments

  1. Happy Birthday my friend! You are ONE AMAZING WOMAN! Love and hugs always <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Valentine's Day - Special Needs Edition

Lessons I’ve learned from my Son with Special Needs in 2017

Weekend Getaway - Without the Kids