Conversation: telling my son he is differently-abled

Today marks an important moment in our lives. Today we had a conversation with our 8 year old about his condition. Today we told him that he was born with Spina Bifida.

We've been trying to find the right time to let him know or at least try to explain what his differences are. After all, physically, he's like a "typical" child. He's able to walk without adaptive equipment, he doesn't need to be cathed.

We have a book called "Right Under My Nose" ( http://www.myspinabifidabook.org/)
a book for children with Spina Bifida. This book tells the story of a boy named Eddie who has SBATSR and a shunt. We've had this book for sometime. We just wanted to find the right time to read it. Tomorrow we are participating in a Spina Bifida walk in Long Branch, NJ. I wanted to prepare him and help him understand that there are many more people like him who also have SB. And they are also
Differently-abled. Some use wheelchairs while others use braces or crutches.

I was nervous, scared and relieved t inform him. I was worried about his reaction. He had an MRI done a few days ago to check on his shunt. I told him about it last week. Several months ago we took a picture of his scar and showed it to him. We've been telling him about SB in little spurts.

Hubby and I had him read the book to us. I, of course, began to cry a little as we read the book. He was ok with the story as we pointed our similarities such as the scar on his back and the scar on his head where his shunt is. He didn't have Amy questions and I didn't push. I will let him process this information.

The book was also available online as an interactive audio read. We played it on the computer and he was happy to hear it and even said, "this is a cool story." "Look mommy, he has a scar just like me" as he pointed to his back and head.

I realize this is the first of many important conversations that we will have with him. He took it pretty well. We will always be here to answer any questions he may have. Day by day.

Tomorrow he may have more questions or just may feel right at home with the other kids. Either way, we love him unconditionally.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valentine's Day - Special Needs Edition

Lessons I’ve learned from my Son with Special Needs in 2017

Weekend Getaway - Without the Kids